Sunday, December 18, 2011

Serviettenknödel

My son let (of course through his wife) put in a request ( 5 days before Christmas .... and I still have to drive for a whole day to arrive in Calgary on time)  for real Bohemian Dumplings which you wrap in a cotton napkin.
I did not cook them for several years. I made the dough: you have to beat the dough until it looks like having bladders. I took a whole full scoop of flour because the Servietten Knödel were ment for Christmas Eve as a side dish  to the Turkey.
Soon I realised it was to much dough to work it thoroughfully, so I parted it in two halfes, then mixed both parts wit the breadcubes.
The pot with saltwater boiled already. I took a nice new never used dish towel  as a napkin and wound the dough into the napkin, then laid it in the pot to boil, at least for half an hour. Soon I became aware of the water turning yellowish. The towe,l being brandnew lost colour, seeping into the dumpling. I took the dumpling out, renewed the water, let the dumpling simmer again. The water turned yellowish. Finally I cooked the dumlping without napkin. Finally, it was not finally yet. The dumpling seemed to be still raw. Another half hour of boiling. It still looked raw.

I will have roasted dumplings for quite a while,
and I will start making some new Serviettenknödel.....tomorrow.

It shows how nicely you can kill a boring day.

No comments:

Post a Comment